Monday, October 18, 2010

Ranthambore Day 1

Day 23 of my trip and I am off to Ranthambore National Park.  This is what I came here for, TIGERS. 
The park covers 106 sq miles in eastern Rajasthan and is home to 35-38 tigers (they do not have an exact count because cubs are born throughout the year).

Before I leave I have breakfast at my hotel.  While I am eating a notice a man at a neighboring table looking at me.  He seems to want to say something but does not.  Finally, after several minutes he asks, " Are you the American woman travelling alone to Ranthambore today?"  I admit that I am.  He comes over to introduce himself and his wife who has just arrived.  They are Australian, travelling with their daughter and her friend and they too are going to Ranthambore today.  As luck would have it they are staying in the same resort that I am.  We agree to meet later in the day to say "Hello."

My driver tells me the road from Jaipur to Ranthambore is pretty good.  I settle in for the 4 hour drive.  I am not settled for long before I am bounced out of my seat.  The road is a mess, destroyed by the monsoon.  This is going to be a long 4 hours.

We arrive in Ranthambore in time for me to check in and get my tent organized before my first safari.

















The Aussie family (their names are Rod, Vida, Jo and Jacque) arrives just after me and we eat lunch together. 

After lunch it is time for the safari.  Ranthambore has 7 tracks on which to divide the vehicles on safari.  Today I am on track 1.  We drive along the track looking for telltale signs of tiger activity, paw prints, urine spray and warning calls from monkeys, deer and peacocks.

 The landscape is fantastic:











We see some male Sambar deer






We see a few peahens hiding in the grass





We do not see any signs of tigers. 
Finally after 2 hours, success!  We find a tiger print.

This is the print of a female tiger as evidenced by the relatively small size and narrow forepaw.  This female is known to have 2 young cubs.



We spend 45 minutes searching for the tiger but to no avail.  There will be no tiger spotting today.

We exit the park under a gorgeous sunset.












Tomorrow I have 2 safaris, morning and afternoon.  Perhaps I will see a tiger yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment