Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cochin Day 1

Today I flew from Bangalore to Cochin.  I almost missed my flight because the airline, Kingfisher (the ones who crashed), moved the flight time up 30 minutes.  Luckily I checked the flight status this morning so we were prepared and Eshwar was able to rush me to the airport.  Who expects a flight to leave early????

Cochin/Kochi is in the state of in Kerala in the southwest of India.  It is on the Arabian Sea.  Cochin is made up mostly of islands and peninsulas.  There is new Cochin full of modern buildings, stores and honking horns and old Cochin (or Fort Cochin) full of hotels, tourists and goats.  Old Cochin is much more peaceful and serene than the other cities I have been to.  This area has been populated by Jews, Portuguese, Dutch and English.  The area reflects all of these influences.  Tomorrow I will go exploring the city, but for today I am to go on a cruise of the area.

This is my "cruise ship" and crew
  









We cruise inland to take in some of the architecture from the sea.





From here you can see new Cochin in the distance.

   

Cochin is a port city that imports and exports a variety of products including coconut oil.  There have been 3 main ports in Cochin.  This is the new modern port.


Cochin is also a fishing village.  With lots of fishing boats.

    
A boat like Agnes would cost about 50 lakhs (1 lakh=100,000 rupees).  This little fishing boat would cost much less.


Here are some fishing boats docked on shore.


 

This boat is bringing in the net.


  


The fish then go to fish markets.  The main catch is a small fish called the mullet.

         

Cochin is known worldwide for its Chinese fishing nets.  There are an amazing site.

    


After the fishing nets it is back to the hotel.



My room is large, comfortable and has great views.

       

That was my first day in Cochin and it was only a half day.  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment